Tuesday 29 December 2015

When Do I Wake Up?



For some reason every summer in the last five, I hit a wall. 
I can't face my job anymore. I can't go on. I can't take it. 

 In July I travel up to London from the country to audition for a musical being done live on TV at Christmas.
 It's hot, there's a taxi strike going on, London seems overwhelming, intense, dirty but I'm a pro, I'm warmed up and I'm grateful to be seen.

I put my hand on the door to push it open and suddenly feel an invisible wall.

 I couldn't walk into another room and convince someone to hire me. 
I can't go on dragging my resume behind me to be judged or dismissed or ignored or sometimes occasionally, happily, acknowledged. 
I'd been doing it for 35 years. 

I take a deep breath and shove the door open because I can't not show up. I can't be late. Can't do that. 
 I see the same faces I've been seeing at auditions since 1980. I listen to the noises coming from the studio. It's a Rodgers and Hammerstein show featuring a possible four decent soprano roles. 
Everyone is belting. I hear Sister Act, for God's sake. Someone got the wrong nun memo.

 I don't belt. 

I think about the clip I keep seeing on Facebook of the actor Bryan Cranston speaking about auditions. Be yourself, he said.

I go in. I sing in my own, old fashioned legit voice. I do my thing, a pianissimo floated high note at the end. They chorus with approval. 
They hire belters for every role. 
I'm fine because I was true to myself but I still feel sad because my sound, my fach is vanishing. 

I go off on tour again. It's how I've kept going, kept my nerve- singing one woman concerts. I've been doing this all around Canada, my birth place for the last five years.

I've sung now in every province and territory except for Nunavut, The Yukon and Quebec and it's been extraordinary. From the beautiful islands off British Columbia to Newfoundland and the provinces in middle where the roads are so long and straight the saying goes "when your wife leaves you, you can see her leaving for two weeks"

 After the concerts I talk to the audience at the door. They thank me for coming and I try to explain that it means more to me than they can ever imagine. 

I've looked out into a sailors church in the Arctic and seen an audience filled with First Nations (indigenous  Canadians) looking back at me, smiling and crying. I've wrapped their beautiful children in the train of my sequinned gowns for photos after the show. I've seen moose and bald eagles and seals and the Northern Lights and I've crashed a snowmobile on the ice road and I've swum in the sea and the lakes and I've made incredible friends.

And even though before every concert, I have a lead weight in my stomach at thought of going out there alone for two acts and even though I'm singing music that I've sung again and again and will probably drop dead singing, I'm incredibly grateful for the amazing things being able to go la la la at a decent ability has brought me. 

But despite all of that, the luck, the experiences and everything, I have to admit that the business itself makes me miserable. 
The rejection and disappointments, the injustices, the bitchiness, all of it.
I hate it and it gets harder and harder, particularly as a woman. 

I listen to my husband tell me that if it makes me so sad I can stop. Just draw a line. Finish. I wait for a sign. I know it would be the bravest thing to do, to quit but I can't do it. I can still sing and it seems wrong to stop. I hope I'll know when.
I still yearn for that hit I get on stage when it's right. It's a drug. I yearn for it.
I plow on. I have a run of auditions. I'm myself in them and that's all I can do. 

Then suddenly - I'm taking another jump.
I'm doing a play. I've never done a play. A straight play. 
Well, an incredibly gay play but a straight play none the less.
In the US, with amazing talented people, in a terrific company.

And bloody show-business reels me in again.

I'm still here...

Www.rebeccacaine.com

Www.asolarep.org



 

15 comments:

  1. XO. Wish I could go. You will be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Daniel, now I'm crying. So much love to you. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel's message says it all.

    Thank you for sharing your vulnerability. For every person that speaks out, there are hundreds more silently experiencing the same thing. You're letting those people know that they are not alone in what they are feeling and going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the first time I saw you on my TV, I was mesmerized. (It was the 25th Les Mis anniversary DVD that I had got as a present for my birthday!) I, to be honest, didn't know much about Les Mis and its cast (or any other musical cast outside Germany) before that. But I immediately wanted to find out more about you and so I did! I bought your CD, started following you on Twitter....And my first impression and "being-drawn to you" (I don't know how to say this in a better way, I'm not a native speaker after all) didn't prove me wrong! I love everything about you: your voice, personality, wit, beauty, style and your kindness towards your fans.
    It would be a wish come true to finally see one of your concerts. But with two small children I'm not able to travel very far for the time being. So you coming to the South of Germany will be the only option ;)
    To cut a long story short, what I wanted to say with my lengthy comment (that I hope you don't mind, but it's how I feel) is: It gets me angry when I hear about your experiences in the industry, because in my eyes you're still much more able to move and charm people just by being yourself and doing what you're brilliant at - singing and being on stage, than many of the people cast in musicals today.
    Veronika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Veronika, for your kind words. I think everyone feels this way. It's a tough life. I'm probably stupid enough to put it out there. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen you perform, but know of you through various artists I follow and admire, so I'm sure I would enjoy seeing you. Your blog is an amazing peek at the life of a performer, and the dependent nature of your business. I wish you the best of luck on the play and hope the US welcomes you with open arms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep it up. The arts world would be less without you in it. Keep being you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your experience in musical theater auditions is spot on. I can't tell you how many times I've stood at the door ready to sing legit material for, oh, Pirates of penzance or sound of music....and it's a parade of belters....and I think...I mean I have belter pieces, but for this? Am I going crazy? Why is my legit soprano, which is bright and light and vibrant, suddenly a turn off for the legit shows supposedly written for this fach? It's seriously crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for being brave and speaking out on behalf of all of us who experience this very issue. It is good to hear others state exactly what's been running through my head. As a character of one of my favorite legit musicals says: "Silly people don't know their own silly business." Unless there is a good music director on the audition panel (and those folks are absolutely jewels!), chances are that there may not be anyone listening who understands the composition's vocal requirements. Or cares.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebecca, I feel like I cut my teeth on your beautiful singing--I was so obsessed with Les Mis in eighth grade that I had the Broadway, London, AND complete symphonic recordings, and I always thought "I Saw Him Once" made Cosette so much more likable! I'm a legit-voiced high soprano with some operatic background, and I definitely perceive exactly what you've described here. I made my NYC solo cabaret debut about a year ago singing the music I love in my own voice, and I find that there are audiences for it--just maybe not the ones who want to hear most of what's playing in big commercial theaters these days. We all have our unique niches, and you continue to be an inspiration just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete